Sunday, October 2, 2011

“Dios te bendiga”

“Dios te bendiga”

“God bless you”

I have never handed out Christian tracts to strangers. Except for today. This morning, I was handed a stack of tiny booklets which explained the gospel in espanol and french creole. Then, the local missionaries taught me one sentence, “Dios te bendiga.” Apparently, that was all I needed to know in order to be prepared for short term missions work.

I was far from prepared. I don’t think anything could have prepared me. I’ve seen films, heard stories, read books, and looked at pictures. But as I waded through an open air market in the slums of a third world city – I realized that nothing could prepare me for the poverty, sickness, or chaos that I was encountering.

I stared deep into the eyes of men, women, children and even stray dogs. They all returned with stares of excitement and curiosity because I was “Americano.” However, I could still see the despair and pain that they held within. Unfortunately, the only thing I could offer them today was a christian booklet and a simple statement, “God bless you.”

…I hope he does.

-Bill Rose

3 comments:

  1. Oh thanks for sharing. Praying for you and all those precious people. May our God bless them, keep them and help them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that feeling! But you are offering them hope, too, which is so much more than even food or medical attention or anything else could ever do

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you guys are there. It will change your life my friend...in ways you could never imagine! Dios te bendiga!:)

    Jolie

    ReplyDelete